Online citations, reference lists, and bibliographies.

Abnormal Vaginal PH And Mycoplasma Genitalium Infection.

J. Huppert, J. Bates, Akilah F. Weber, N. Quinn, C. Gaydos
Published 2013 · Medicine

Cite This
Download PDF
Analyze on Scholarcy
Share
STUDY OBJECTIVE Mycoplasma genitalium (MG) is a sexually transmitted pathogen linked to female morbidity, but testing for MG is not standardized. We aimed to determine which point-of-care (POC) vaginal tests could predict MG infection. DESIGN, SETTING, PARTICIPANTS A cross sectional study recruited sexually active adolescent women, aged 14-22 y (n = 217) from an urban medical center. INTERVENTIONS AND MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES Vaginal swabs were POC tested for pH, amines, clue cells, sialidase, and Trichomonas vaginalis (TV). MG was detected by research-use-only transcription mediated amplification (TMA) assay. Presence of Chlamydia trachomatis (CT) and Neisseria gonorrhoeae (NG) were confirmed using TMA. Three criteria were required for diagnosis of clinical BV: pH > 4.5, presence of amines, and >20% clue cells. Associations were assessed using logistic regression (LR). RESULTS TMA detected MG in 30 (14%), CT in 49 (23%), and NG in 21 (10%) of the samples tested. POC vaginal tests were positive for TV in 21%, amines in 52%, clue cells in 33%, sialidase in 22%, pH > 4.5 in 56%, and clinical BV in 19% of the samples tested. Using LR, pH > 4.5 was a predictor of MG (odds ratio 4.4, P < .05). Of 131 women without clinical BV or TV, 25% of those with pH > 4.5 had MG, compared to 9% of those with pH ≤ 4.5 (P = .02). CONCLUSIONS Until standardized, approved testing for MG is available, pH may be a useful indicator to suspect MG, especially in the absence of BV and TV.
This paper references
10.1016/S0140-6736(02)07848-0
Association between Mycoplasma genitalium and acute endometritis
C. Cohen (2002)
10.1016/j.jclinepi.2007.11.008
The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies.
E. von Elm (2008)
10.1097/QCO.0b013e3282f3d9ac
Evidence for a role of Mycoplasma genitalium in pelvic inflammatory disease
C. Haggerty (2008)
10.1128/JCM.00764-06
Performance of the Gen-Probe Transcription-Mediated Amplification Research Assay Compared to That of a Multitarget Real-Time PCR for Mycoplasma genitalium Detection
J. Hardick (2006)
10.1097/01.AOG.0000145752.97999.67
Evaluation of Clinical Methods for Diagnosing Bacterial Vaginosis
R. Gutman (2005)
10.1016/j.contraception.2007.12.002
High prevalence of Mycoplasma genitalium in women presenting for termination of pregnancy.
Beverley A Lawton (2008)
10.1097/01.OLQ.0000078821.27933.88
Development and Performance of a Microwell-Plate-Based Polymerase Chain Reaction Assay for Mycoplasma genitalium
S. Dutro (2003)
10.1097/00007435-200306000-00003
Evaluation of a New Rapid Diagnostic Kit (FemExam) for Bacterial Vaginosis in Patients With Vaginal Discharge Syndrome in The Gambia
B. West (2003)
10.1016/0002-9378(88)90078-6
Diagnosis and clinical manifestations of bacterial vaginosis.
D. Eschenbach (1988)
10.1136/sti.2006.022970
Mycoplasma genitalium: prevalence and behavioural risk factors in the general population
B. Andersen (2007)
10.1136/sti.2009.037721
The demographic, sexual health and behavioural correlates of Mycoplasma genitalium infection among women with clinically suspected pelvic inflammatory disease
V. L. Short (2009)
Diagnostic Criteria and Microbial and Epidemiologic Associations
R. Amsel (1983)
10.1016/0002-9343(83)91112-9
Nonspecific vaginitis. Diagnostic criteria and microbial and epidemiologic associations.
R. Amsel (1983)
10.1097/00007435-200007000-00003
Relationship of Hormonal Contraception and Cervical Ectopy as Measured by Computerized Planimetry to Chlamydial Infection in Adolescents
D. Jacobson (2000)
10.1128/JCM.43.2.684-687.2005
Use of an Immunochromatographic Assay for Rapid Detection of Trichomonas vaginalis in Vaginal Specimens
J. Huppert (2005)
10.7326/0003-4819-147-8-200710160-00010
The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) Statement: Guidelines for Reporting Observational Studies
E. von Elm (2007)
10.1086/518851
Rapid antigen testing compares favorably with transcription-mediated amplification assay for the detection of Trichomonas vaginalis in young women.
J. Huppert (2007)
10.1016/S0029-7844(02)02147-6
Leukorrhea and Bacterial Vaginosis as In‐Office Predictors of Cervical Infection in High‐Risk Women
Michele M Hakakha (2002)
10.1080/00207170600712071
Assessing the relationship between preterm delivery and various microorganisms recovered from the lower genital tract
R. Edwards (2006)
10.1016/S0140-6736(07)61602-X
The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies
E. Elm (2007)
10.1097/OLQ.0b013e3181b01948
Mycoplasma genitalium as a Contributor to the Multiple Etiologies of Cervicitis in Women Attending Sexually Transmitted Disease Clinics
C. Gaydos (2009)
10.1001/JAMA.291.11.1368
Evaluation of vaginal complaints.
M. Anderson (2004)
10.1095/biolreprod.105.043133
Immunological Microenvironments in the Human Vagina and Cervix: Mediators of Cellular Immunity Are Concentrated in the Cervical Transformation Zone1
J. Pudney (2005)
10.1128/JCM.42.1.203-211.2004
Diagnostic Assessment of Mycoplasma genitalium in Culture-Positive Women
J. Baseman (2004)
10.1016/J.JADOHEALTH.2006.12.005
Mycoplasma genitalium among adolescent women and their partners.
Aneesh K. Tosh (2007)
10.1128/JCM.44.4.1236-1240.2006
Performance of the Gen-Probe Transmission-Mediated Amplification Research Assay Compared to That of a Multitarget Real-Time PCR for Mycoplasma genitalium Detection
J. Hardick (2006)
10.1093/HUMREP/16.9.1866
Serological investigation of Mycoplasma genitalium in infertile women.
H. F. Clausen (2001)
10.1016/j.jadohealth.2009.08.003
Point-of-care testing for sexually transmitted infections increases awareness and short-term abstinence in adolescent women.
J. Reed (2010)
10.1016/0029-7844(96)00233-5
Validity of the Vaginal Gram Stain for the Diagnosis of Bacterial Vaginosis
J. Schwebke (1996)
10.1086/367992
Mucopurulent cervicitis and Mycoplasma genitalium.
L. Manhart (2003)
10.1111/j.1471-0528.2009.02455.x
The association between Mycoplasma genitalium and pelvic inflammatory disease after termination of pregnancy
C. Bjartling (2010)
10.1136/sti.2003.009134
Vaginal leucocyte counts in women with bacterial vaginosis: relation to vaginal and cervical infections
W. Geisler (2004)
10.1097/OLQ.0b013e31815abac6
Mycoplasma genitalium Detected by Transcription-Mediated Amplification Is Associated With Chlamydia trachomatis in Adolescent Women
J. Huppert (2008)
10.1136/sti.2009.036046
Mycoplasma genitalium in asymptomatic patients: implications for screening
J. Ross (2009)



This paper is referenced by
10.1016/j.jri.2018.08.006
The two-sided role of the vaginal microbiome in Chlamydia trachomatis and Mycoplasma genitalium pathogenesis.
Manon Molenaar (2018)
Mycoplasma genitalium in Senegalese Patients Attending a Private
Cheikh Anta Diop (2019)
10.1155/2015/645853
Sensitive Detection of Thirteen Bacterial Vaginosis-Associated Agents Using Multiplex Polymerase Chain Reaction
Natália Malaguti (2015)
10.1093/humupd/dmx028
In vivo oxygen, temperature and pH dynamics in the female reproductive tract and their importance in human conception: a systematic review
K. Y. B. Ng (2018)
10.1128/IAI.00738-16
Experimental Infection of Pig-Tailed Macaques (Macaca nemestrina) with Mycoplasma genitalium
G. E. Wood (2016)
10.1016/j.theriogenology.2014.11.029
Survival capacity of Mycoplasma agalactiae and Mycoplasma mycoides subsp capri in the diluted semen of goat bucks and their effects on sperm quality.
Ángel Gómez-Martín (2015)
10.1201/B17871-36
Mycoplasma and Related Organisms
Meghan May (2015)
10.1186/s12917-020-02454-9
The addition of Lactobacillus spp. negatively affects Mycoplasma bovis viability in bovine cervical mucus
Ana García-Galán (2020)
10.1007/s10096-020-03831-w
Bacterial vaginosis-associated vaginal microbiota is an age-independent risk factor for Chlamydia trachomatis, Mycoplasma genitalium and Trichomonas vaginalis infections in low-risk women, St. Petersburg, Russia
E. Shipitsyna (2020)
10.1038/nrurol.2016.161
Putative functions of tissue kallikrein-related peptidases in vaginal fluid
Carla M J Muytjens (2016)
10.1093/ije/dyx050
Cohort Profile: African Collaborative Center for Microbiome and Genomics Research’s (ACCME's) Human Papillomavirus (HPV) and Cervical Cancer Study
S. Adebamowo (2017)
Semantic Scholar Logo Some data provided by SemanticScholar