← Back to Search
Transcatheter Arterial Embolization With Zinostatin Stimalamer For Hepatocellular Carcinoma
Published 2002 · Medicine
Zinostatin stimalamer (SMANCS) is a lipophilic intra-arterial chemotherapeutic agent for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). In our previous study, transcatheter arterial infusion chemotherapy using SMANCS for HCC showed a response rate of 20%. In an effort to obtain a superior anti-tumor effect against HCC, we conducted a phase II study of transcatheter arterial embolization (TAE) using SMANCS and gelatin sponge in 50 chemotherapy-naive patients with HCC. Four milligrams SMANCS plus 4 ml lipiodol emulsion was injected into the hepatic artery, followed by an injection of gelatin sponge. The responses were evaluated by computed tomography (CT) 1 month after treatment and thereafter every 3–4 months. One patient (2%) showed complete response and 15 patients (30%) had partial response resulting in an overall response rate of 32% (16/50; 95% confidence interval 19–45%). In 33 patients (66%), the disease remained stable, and 1 patient (2%) showed progressive disease. In 35 patients (70%), the rate of necrotic area to whole tumor was more than 50% according to the evaluation method using lipiodol accumulation in CT. The 1-, 3- and 5-year survival rates were 90, 55 and 19%, respectively. Grade 3 hematological toxicity was observed as thrombocytopenia in 2 patients (4%). Grade 3 and 4 non-hematological toxicity (liver dysfunction) occurred in 17 (34%) and 7 patients (14%), respectively. TAE using SMANCS, which was well tolerated, may be an effective treatment for advanced HCC.