Incidence, Pattern And Management Of Bile Duct Injuries During Cholecystectomy: Experience From A Single Center
Published 2010 · Medicine
Background: The incidence and pattern of bile duct injury (BDI) may be underreported because of the heterogeneous referral from multiple institutions. Methods: Retrospective analysis of data from 5,782 cholecystectomies performed between 1989 and 2007 was done. BDI were categorized into Strasberg types. Results: Fifty-seven (1%) patients sustained BDI. Ten of 57 (18%) patients had minor BDI (type A-10), 25/57 (44%) had major BDI (type C-3, type D-14, type E-8) and BDI could not be classified in the remaining 22/57 (39%) patients. Twenty-one of 25 (84%) major BDI were detected at operation – 21/57 (37%) injuries were detected and repaired intra-operatively. The other 36/57 (63%) injuries were detected after operation – 11 were managed expectantly, 5 had endoscopic stenting, 3 underwent percutaneous drainage of bilioma, 1 had a laparoscopic clipping of the subvesical duct, 4 underwent laparotomy and 12 required a combination of interventions. Five of the 57 (9%) patients died. At follow-up, 1 patient developed bile duct stricture which was managed endoscopically. All other patients were doing well at the last follow-up. Conclusions: In experienced centers, most of the major BDI can be detected and managed during cholecystectomy. Good results can be achieved by judicious selection of a combination of interventions in the majority of patients.